Syrian troops clash with rebels in Damascus; militant group claims blasts, vows more

Posted on: May 21, 2012 at 00:13
Syrian forces ambushed and killed nine army deserters near a north Damascus suburb as fighting between armed rebels and troops raged around the capital during the night, a monitoring group said Monday, as a militant group claimed responsibility for a suicide bombing in eastern Syria last week vowed to continue launching attacks.

The deserters were killed as they were retreating under cover of darkness from the village of Jisr al-Ab near Damascus’s Duma suburb, the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said, according to AFP.

On Sunday, at least 60 people were killed across Syria, including 40 in an assault by regime forces on a village in central Hama province, Al Arabiya reported.

The watchdog had on Sunday reported fighting between rebels and regime troops near Duma, during which a rocket-propelled grenade exploded near a team of U.N. observers.

No one was hurt in the blast, which came as U.N. truce mission head Major General Robert Mood and peacekeeping chief Herve Ladsous were leading observers around the north Damascus suburb.

Syrian soldiers who were on the spot have attributed the blast to an RPG rocket but U.N. observers have not commented on the nature of the explosion.

Heavy fighting was also reported during the night between regime soldiers and rebels in other parts of Damascus province, the Observatory said.

The clashes took place mainly in the Jisrain and Kfar Batna localities, according to the watchdog, which added there were no immediate reports of casualties.

Explosions were also heard in Deir Ezzor, Syria’s main eastern city, the Observatory said.

Violence in Syria continues despite the presence of U.N. observers to oversee a truce that came into effect on April 12 but which has been consistently violated by both sides.

Meanwhile, a militant group claimed responsibility for a suicide bombing in eastern Syria last week that killed nine people and said attacks would continue, in a statement posted on the Internet on Monday.

Al-Nusra Front said it was behind the attack on Saturday which targeted military installations in Deir Ezzor. The authenticity of the statement could not immediately be verified, according to Reuters.

“There was a limit to the ferocity of the dogs of the regime in Deir Ezzor at which they had to be punished, so the soldiers of al-Nusra front undertook this mission,” read the statement on an Islamist web forum.

“The blessed operations will continue until the land of Syria is purified from the filth of the Nusayris (Alawites) and the Sunnis are relieved from their oppression.”

The uprising against four decades of Assad family rule has been led by Syria’s Sunni Muslim majority, many of whom are resentful of a political and military elite dominated by the minority Alawite sect, an offshoot of Shiite Islam to which Assad belongs.

The Syrian government points to bombings as proof it is confronting foreign-backed militants, not a home-grown uprising.

Al-Nusra Front has previously claimed responsibility for bombings in Damascus and Aleppo.

No civilians were killed in the bombing in Deir Ezzor, al-Nusra said in the statement, adding it had previously cancelled operations because “innocent people” were at its target site.

The group, whose full name means “the support front for the people of Syria,” has emerged during the revolt, which began as a peaceful protest movement but has become increasingly militarized as rebels fight back against a government crackdown.
World
Libya Declares State of Emergency over Unrest in South

Libya's General National Congress declared a state of emergency in the country on Saturday, an official said, after fresh clashes erupted in the south when gunmen group seized a military base.

Top News