France Says Worried 'New Massacres' Being Prepared in Syria

Posted on: June 12, 2012 at 00:02
France on Tuesday joined the United States in raising concerns that new massacres were being prepared in Syria as regime forces pounded for the eighth straight day the town of Al-Haffe.

''We share concerns about the preparation of new massacres,'' foreign ministry spokesman Bernard Valero said, adding that French officials were heading to Moscow for talks on the crisis on Wednesday.

''We more than ever support the Annan plan,'' Valero said, in reference to joint United Nations-Arab League envoy Kofi Annan's peace plan for Syria.

Regime forces were shelling the northwestern town of Al-Haffe on Tuesday, sparking fears of an impending massacre and U.N. demands that its observers be granted access to the flashpoint.

Washington had voiced concerns that President Bashar al-Assad's regime was planning to carry out new atrocities, after the massacre of 55 people last week in Al-Kubeir and at least 108 near Houla on May 25-26.

''The United States joins joint special envoy Kofi Annan in expressing deep alarm by reports from inside Syria that the regime may be organizing another massacre,'' U.S. State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said in Washington.

Source:Agence France Presse
World
Libya Declares State of Emergency over Unrest in South

Libya's General National Congress declared a state of emergency in the country on Saturday, an official said, after fresh clashes erupted in the south when gunmen group seized a military base.

Top News